The world moves on, science is in fast development, and the modern era widely brings new technologies into our lives. The current generation of young people dream of being successful and discovering new horizons, and it is great that they have a thirst for knowledge and great ambitions. To study productively, they extremely need to stay concentrated, have a good memory, and have efficiency.
Tight schedules, a quick pace of life, and large volumes of information can lead to fatigue and disability from covering the entire scope of work the students must do. Young people are in search of a way to increase their cognition and efficacy in studies. The great discovery of humanity is nootropics, or smart drugs, that can bring one to the top of their mental and physical abilities.
What Nature Offers
There are a lot of natural so called adaptogens, which influence the brain and enhance energy:
- Coffee, cola, cacao, and many other energy drinks contain caffeine, which quickly increases energy and attention, gives quick reactions, and increases concentration.
- L-theanine, an amino acid found in tea, boosts the levels of serotonin and dopamine in the brain, keeps the mind alert, improves cognition, and provides a calming effect.
- Rhodiola rosea promotes mental and physical efficiency and decreases stress and mental fatigue. This can be helpful for students during the examination period.
- Ginseng increases mental abilities and memory and sharpens senses, such as vision and hearing.
- Turmeric stimulates neurons’ activity, improves cognitive function and is a powerful antidepressant.
- Rosemary essential oil stimulates brain performance and is of great help for students and people learning new skills, as it enhances productivity and the ability to solve mental tasks.
- Ashwagandha is an Indian traditional brain-stimulating plant that gives clarity of mind, improves information handling, boosts the immune system, and prevents the death of neurons in the brain.
- Ginkgo biloba cures and regenerates the brain cells, improves memory, attention, and intellect, and can be really helpful in stressful situations like exams.
Herbs obviously give their positive effect, but it can take some time for them to start working in your body, and they are not as powerful as modern nootropic medications.
The Best Smart Drug
When you need a quick and effective result in your studies, try modafinil. Science has proved that this smart drug really helps students. It has been firstly discovered as a medication fighting such sleeping disorder as narcolepsy, but nowadays modafinil has confidently entered into life of healthy people. Those who want to keep their brains work properly, stay alert and efficient in stressful situations, such as exams, work at early morning and night hours, conduct military operations, etc, use it widely.
Modafinil works by raising the level of dopamine neurotransmitter, improving neuron communication and energy metabolism in the brain, raising serotonin levels, and has neuroprotective and antioxidant effects. It influences almost all processes in the body. In their studies in people with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, chronic schizophrenia, and depression, the professors of the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Cambridge, United Kingdom, proved that modafinil improves cognitive functions, attention, concentration, episodic and visual memory, and working memory performance.
The tests on mice at the University of California, San Diego, USA confirmed that modafinil increases motivation because of its influence on dopamine transportation. Based on the research conducted at the University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus, the University of Cambridge, and Clare Hall College, Dr Ahmed Dahir Mohamed, in his article about the influence of modafinil on healthy individuals in the aspect of motivation and pleasure, draws the conclusion that modafinil doesn’t influence motivation directly, but works by increasing the perceived judgment and confidence, thereby stimulating pleasure centers that make people perceive tasks with more interest.
The co-author of the research at Oxford University, Ruairidh Battleday, who is currently studying at the University of California and practicing as a medical doctor, claims that modafinil really improves cognition, but it doesn’t deal with the elementary mental tasks, it influences higher cognitive functions, attention, and studying. His colleague, a neuropsychologist at Oxford University, Anna-Katharine Brem, confirms that modafinil improves the decision-making and planning processes and makes the mind flexible to accept and combine new information. They also found out that there were very few side effects connected with the drug.
All these effects of modafinil can be very useful for students who want to get higher marks on their exams, memorize things quicker, and make their learning easier. According to the results of social surveys, every fifth student in the US, Australia, and the UK used modafinil as a smart drug, and they say that it helped them get through the pressing examination period smoothly.
What is even more interesting, they confirm that it doesn’t make them cleverer. The drug helps people wake up to the upgraded and promoted version of themselves when all their abilities are at their peak level. You can work for hours without interruption, or pay no attention to distractions, and fully devote yourself to the task. You can memorize large volumes of information, as long as you’re focused and have drive. They also say there is no crash after its usage. It means, that it does not have such negative consequences as a hangover, exhaustion, withdrawal effects, etc.
Do Not Forget About Safety
In spite of the fact that it is confirmed by scientists at Oxford University and students in their own practice that in 70 percent of cases, modafinil has very few minor side effects, everyone who makes a decision to use it should remember that this is a serious drug. Provigil (the brand name of modafinil pills) changes your brain’s performance. This is not something you can play with. If you notice some such adverse reactions as headaches, stomach disorders, poor appetite, slight changes in mood, or insomnia, you should stop taking it immediately and talk to your doctor. To use it for studying effectively and without negative consequences, you should follow some rules.
Rules you should follow
- Use modafinil wisely. Give your body and mind a chance to sleep and relax. You must sleep no less than 7-9 hours a day. Remember that the drug can’t replace good rest and gives its best results only when your brain is in the most favorable condition.
- You should eat properly during the day, even if you don’t want to or forget. Concentrate on your studies. Your brain must get enough calories to be efficient, and a full stomach helps reduce side effects.
- Take Provigil in the early morning hours, as you will stay under its influence for up to 20 hours. Remember that it will take about 45 minutes for the drug to start its action, so you can go back to bed and get more sleep or prepare for work. The recommended daily dosage is 100–200 mg. You can experiment by starting with smaller proportions.
- Delete all the disturbing factors, such as phones and the internet, and find a peaceful place for your study;
- Don’t use the medication more than 3 or 4 times a week; take a break and refuse to take it after the examination time is over.
In order to avoid negative consequences, you should check if you are not allergic to the drug, drink enough water to avoid dehydration, and never mix modafinil with other stimulants such as Adderall, Ritalin, or alcohol.
The neuropsychology professor at Cambridge University, Dr. Barbara Sahakian, claims that the government should pay more attention to the leading smart drug. Many people use it to improve their cognitive functions. This is why it is important to evaluate its safety, benefits, and risks. Local medical authorities could do it together with scientists and pharmaceutical companies, the doctor says. She also emphasizes that it would be better if students could buy the drug legally, read the precautions and instructions on the label, and consult a doctor before using modafinil without fear of being punished.
Where Can I Get It?
If you have already tried to buy Provigil at the local pharmacy, you know that you must have the doctor’s prescription. Furthermore, the brand version of the drug is extremely expensive. This is why there is a variety of generics, mostly from Indian producers, which have proved themselves as safe and have the same effectiveness as the original tablets. Those medications have the same ingredients and, thus, provide the same actions.
Without having to pay for the brand name, lots of people can purchase modafinil preparations for an affordable price over-the-counter. You just have to be careful about choosing a trusted online retailer. Staying on the safe side, following the instructions, and never taking it excessively, you will have the highest scores on the exams, and your studies will be much easier.